The Canal and the Rails Spark the Growth of White Mills
— Transporting Glass to Customers —Transportation was essential to the success of the Dorflinger glassmaking enterprise. With its location on the banks of the Delaware and Hudson Canal, White Mills was positioned to receive raw materials by canal boat. Finished goods could be sent out of the area. Canal boats, laden with anthracite coal, left Honesdale for 108-mile journey to the town of Rondout, New York, then to the Hudson River and on to New York City. Returning boats carried barrels of high-quality sand, lead oxide, and potash back to White Mills to be made into glass. The opening of the Jefferson Branch of the Erie Railway from Lackawaxen to Honesdale in 1868 provided another method of transporting products to market. Christian Dorflinger was one of several local investors in the railway. The former rail line is still used today for special passenger excursions and as a means of transport for several local industries.
|Placed By||Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, October 13th, 2015 at 9:05am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 483062 N 4597166|
|Decimal Degrees||41.52596667, -75.20301667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 31.558', W 75° 12.181'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 31' 33.48" N, 75° 12' 10.86" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 658 Texas Palmyra Hwy, Hawley PA 18428, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.