Boom and Bust
— 1889 to 1940's —In 1901, the Fireman's Fund Insurance Company included a plat of Ft. Steel in its insurance rating of the town. The town had not grown as planned, probably due to the closeness of Rawlins and that the timber industry had started building its own town on the opposite side of the river so that its workers did not have to cross the river in order to get to work, shop, etc. In the mid 1900's the Vivion Sheep Companies moved most of their sheep operations east to the Wolcott area. The U.P.R.R. then moved the section crews out of the Ft. Steele Community a few years later. However, the Ft. Steele township got a boost in survival when the Great Lincoln Highway was constructed in the late 1920's as it followed the railroad line in from Wolcott on the north side of the tracks and crossed the North Platte just below Ft. Steele and then came up through the old Fort Area proceeding west into Greenville or Parco (present day Sinclair.
|Series||This marker is part of the Transcontinental Railroad series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 at 9:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13T E 338303 N 4626848|
|Decimal Degrees||41.77701667, -106.94561667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 46.621', W 106° 56.737'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 46' 37.26" N, 106° 56' 44.22" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Co Rd 347, Sinclair WY 82334, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.