The paddlewheeler or steamship the Comet represented a new form of transportation on the upper Green River - the use of power other than oars.
The flagship of the newly organized Green River Navigation Company, the Comet made its maiden voyage from Green River, Wyoming south to Linwood, Utah on July 4th, 1908. The purpose of the steamship was to carry freight and passengers to ranches along the Green River to Linwood at the confluence with Henry's Fork. The launching was the major event of the year combined with the Fourth of July celebration.
Built at a cost of $25,000, the Comet was not a success. The first trip to Linwood and back took 33 hours and was hampered by low water, swift currents, and rocks. After only a few trips, the Comet was abandoned in the river several hundred yards downriver from here.
Other boats which operated on the Green in that period included the power launch Teddy R which was used for pleasure excursions up and down the river and a stern wheeler, the Sunbeam which was used until it broke down upriver from here at Big Piney, Wyoming. Afterwards, the Sunbeam was hauled to Fremont Lake and used as a pleasure boat for many years.