Jessee's mill is 2.5 miles north on Jessee's Mill
Road. The first grindstone mill, mortarless
dam, and millrace were built before 1794.
Jessee, Revolutionary War musician and
infantryman, purchased the mill and lands in
1724. Handmade wooden machinery was
installed before 1814. Grandson Andrew "Jack"
Jessee built The Brick Home in 1878 and in
1890 converted the mill to three stories and
automated roller process machinery. The mill
closed in 1932. The Mill Creek community
also included the church, school,
and general store.
John, wife Frankey Lea
and some of their
15 children are buried one
mile east-northeast of the mill
At 36° 55' 45" N, 82° 09' 23" W. Most
American Jessees are their descendants.