Buffalo, Wyoming, the Johnson County seat, chartered March 3, 1884, started as a trading center for Fort McKinney, located two miles west of town, which was founded July 18, 1887 and is now the Veterans' Home of Wyoming.
The court house was built in 1884 and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Main Street started out as a game trail across Clear Creek. The Bozeman Trail used this route to the Montana gold fields and thus precipitated the bloody Indian Wars of the 1860's around Fort Phil Kearny 17 miles north of Buffalo.
The War Memorial originally on this site was replaced by the adjacent black granite Veterans Memorial, dedicated 11 November, 1987.