The Casper division of the Civilian Conservation Corps was arranged by the efforts of the Casper Chamber of Commerce in 1937. Work done by the C.C.C, on Casper Mountain and at Alcova consisted of building bridges, improving roads, and reducing fire hazards. Their work included ground clearance, fencing, establishing picnic sites, and setting up waste disposal area. The WPA finished the Fort Caspar buildings in 1936 but C.C.C. improved the parking area, created access roads and a needed dike on the river bank. The C.C.C. work proved a value to the community. Many corps workers stayed in the Casper area, marrying into the community and providing leadership in all aspects of the growth of the city. The Corps was established to help young men secure training and provide jobs for unemployment caused by the depression. The corps ceased to exist with the advent of World War II. Most of the men in the C.C.C. went on to serve their country with honor.