In 1888, First National Bank built its first bank building, a modest two-story brick building at South Sixth and Garrison. A few years into the 20th century, bank president Samuel McLoud ordered plans drawn up for what would be the tallest building in Fort Smith to replace the old bank. The new building would utilize the most modern designs to ensure customer comfort, efficiency of operation and the protection of deposits. The landmark eight-story First National Bank building opened Jan. 31, 1910, the lobby awash in white marble, electric lights and ceiling fans, the custom tile floor accessorized with heavy brass spittoons. One hundred years later, First National Bank remained our largest financial institution and the second oldest bank in Arkansas.