Owned by Anglo American Oil; Captain Allen McKenzie Built in 1887 by Harland & Wolf, Belfast, Ireland.
Four masted steel bark Length 329 ft-depth of hold 26 ft Breadth 45 ft-Net Tonnage 2929
The Sindia en route from Kobe, Japan to New York City was stranded in Ocean City during a southeast storm on December 15, 1901. Just northeast of this site, she lies broadside to the boardwalk, with her bow pointing south, carrying a cargo of porcelain, fine china, bamboo matting, camphor oil, manganese ore and wax. The ship broke in half and flooded on the third day and much of the cargo was lost. There was no loss of life due to the heroic efforts of the Ocean City Live Saving Station, under the command of Captain J. M. Corson, which is still located on the corner of Fourth Street and Ocean Avenue. Artifacts and a video story of the Sandia can be seen at the Ocean City Historic Museum located in the Cultural Arts Center, 17TH Street and Simpson Avenue.
(Inscription in the box in the upper right) This site has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.