Father Charles Menard of St. Joseph's Church, Thibodaux, LA., offered the first mass on this bayou, June 1842. The original mission chapel was built in 1843, about a mile below this site. Archbishop J.M. Odin, C.M., appointed as first pastor in South Terrebonne Fr. Jean-Marie Joseph Denecé (1864-1890) who. in 1867, erected a larger church in honor of St. John the Baptist. In time, it became known as Sacred Heart Church or L'Église Centrale. From it, priests ministered to the people of Petit Caillou, Grand Caillou, Pointe-Aux-Chênes, Île Jean-Charles, and Le Terrebonne (Montegut).