First stood about a mile to the northwest, at Fort Elliott, established 1875 to protect the Texas Panhandle from Indians.
J. J. Long, teamster-merchant, who arrived with the soldiers, was hired to provide a flagpole for the fort. In cedar breaks near Antelope Hills, 30 miles away, he cut two huge trees and hauled them here by wagon to build this 50-foot pole.
After Fort Elliott closed in 1890, Long bought the pole and placed it in front of his store. Later, at Mobeetie school for 20 years; it was erected here 1949.