From the 1850s to the 1970s, the Louisville & Nashville Depot was located between Market and Washington streets. The building has been used as a dress ship, a photographer's studio, and in 2004 was remodeled for the Limestone County Archives.
The L&N Railroad built this new depot in 1907, replacing the old one which had been constructed in 1858.
Because of a narrow tunnel and steep grades between Athens and Nashville, the L&N Railroad began a project in 1912 called Lewisburg & Northern Division. This was a new line constructed to run through Lewisburg to Columbia and Athens. It was completed in 1914., and the first train to use this route was greeted with a parade marching from the depot down Market Street.
In 1899 the Raisler Corner building was sold to the Hendricks Brothers. "This location quickly became known as "Hendricks Corner."
The Pinnacle Group renovated the Hendricks Corner building in 1995 to look as nearly as possible as it had in the early 1900s.
In 1940s view of the busy intersection of Market and Marion streets. Only on Marion and Jefferson streets were spaces marked for parking cars in the middle of the street.
The Excelsior Elector and Steam Laundry Company was located on East Market Street.
The Gulf Service Station was one of the last full service stations in Athens. It was owned by Jack Park and Louis Speaks and was located at the corner of Market and Clinton streets.
The big spring provided water for Athens before 1897, when the first water system was built. In the 1930s a concrete cover was placed over the spring, but was removed in the 1980s.
One of the many businesses that occupied the Hendricks Corner Building during the 1970s.
The American Missionary Association founded Trinity School in 1865 to teach former slaves. Located on Market Street near the present depot, the school burned in 1881 but was quickly replaced with a brick building. In 1907 the school burned again. It was rebuilt on Coleman Hill on the site of Fort Henderson, a Civil War fort.