A.B. Graham and the 4-H Movement
In 1902, Albert Belmont Graham (1868-1960), a
school teacher and superintendent, established the
Boys and Girls Agricultural Experiment Club in
Springfield, Ohio. Graham believed in learning by
doing, a concept at the core of 4-H, which stands
for Head, Heart, Hands, and Health. In 1905,
Graham became the first Superintendent of
Agricultural Extension at The Ohio State University
and he brought the idea of 4-H with him. 4-H
is in all 50 states and over 70 countries, and
more than 7 million members enroll annually.
One in six Ohioans have been members.
Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
Dedicated in 2008, the Nationwide and Ohio Farm
Bureau 4-H Center is the first campus building
for 4-H in the United States and the first "green"
building and Leadership in Energy and Environ-
mental Design certified facility on The Ohio State
University campus. At the time of construction,
the building represented state-of-the-art "green"
design, from the use of energy-conserving and
recycled materials to extensive use of natural light.
In addition to the lead contributions by
Nationwide Insurance Foundation, and Ohio Farm
Bureau Federation, the 4-H Center was built with
gifts from over 3,800 donors.
Comments 0 comments