Built in 1882, St. John the Evangelist Church was the third Catholic church to be built in the Hockessin area. Soon after it opened, St. John's established a parochial school in its hall. By 1934 the school was closed due to dwindling financial support. Parishioners outgrew the existing church by the mid-20th century and in 1964, a new church, St. Mary of the Assumption, was built a mile away. St. John's closed its doors in 1964, having suffered significant structural strain from overuse, and sat vacant until 1985 when it was demolished. The parish house, built in 1887, remains on site and St. John's original bell and marble was moved to St. Mary's.