(4 mi. SW)In 1876 during an international demand for buffalo hides, Charles Rath (1836-1902) founded this town. He opened the Rath, Lee & Reynolds mercantile store. He sold supplies and bought the hides from the buffalo hunters. On one occasion in 1877 there were 1,100,000 hides at his trading post. The town, also known as "Reynolds City", boasted a corral, hide yard, saloon and restaurant. Skins stretched across poles sheltered the hunters. A tower beside the corral was used as a lookout to ward off Indian attacks. By 1879, the buffalo disappeared and the town vanished.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, June 12th, 2016 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 389659 N 3652993|
|Decimal Degrees||33.00980000, -100.18126667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 0.588', W 100° 10.876'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 0' 35.28" N, 100° 10' 52.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||806, 940|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near US-83, Aspermont TX 79502, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.