From State Fair to Fair Lane
Henry Ford had the miniature farmhouse, along with a miniature barn, steam engine and threshing machine, constructed for the 1924 Michigan State Fair to educate children living in an urban area about life on a farm. After the fair, the buildings were brought to the estate (known as Fair Lane) for the enjoyment of the Ford grandchildren - Henry II, Benson, Josephine and William Clay. The farmhouse was moved to Greenfield Village in 1938 and returned to Fair Lane in 1983.
"We spent oodles of time out there, and we had our own little farm...and we raised crops." - Henry Ford II
The butterfly-shaped peony garden is a smaller-sized version of Mrs. Ford's original one-acre peony garden, which was located (circa 1921) approximately 50 feet northeast of this site. At the time of its completion, the peony garden, with its nearly 1,200 plants and 40 varieties in shades of white, pink, and crimson, was considered by garden experts to be among the finest of its kind in the country.