Horace B. Clark, Fire Commissioner the City Hartford was the man responsibleThis Monument Is Dedicated To Those
for the development of the Lost Acres Fire Department. Mr. Clark had a large estate "Lost Acres" in North Granby from which the name of the present fire company is derived in compliment to him. On June 1, 1936 eleven men responded to a call to organize a volunteer fire department at Lost Acres. On February 24, 1941 L.A.F.D. became incorporated with thirty-one active members.
Eleven Men and Members Who Have Served
Ten or More Years of Active Service
In 1944, when a shortage of Granby firefighters occurred during W.W.II, the Women's Forest Fire Crew was organized. These same women formed the L.A.F.D. Women's Auxiliary. In June, 1946 they provide food at fire emergencies, raise funds for the L.A.F.D., march at parades, help with fire prevention activities and contribute to the welfare of fire victims. Before modern technology, members were alerted to fire calls by the auxiliary using home phones and operating fire siren controls.
L.A.F.D. and auxiliary members, past and present have
volunteered their time and talent to serve the
residents of Granby with fire prevention, fire
suppression and emergency service.