at Matthew's Episcopal Church
—19580 E. Pilgrim Place —Responding to the growing religious needs of the community, G. W. Parker sold a piece of land on the north side of today's Mainstreet to build a chapel. Ten months later the foundation was laid for the Ave Maria Catholic Church. The first Mass was celebrated by the founder of the Ave Maria Catholic Mission, Rt. Rev. Msgr. John Judnic on January 12, 1916. In 1955, Catholic Church activities were moved to Castle Rock, and the old church was vacated and boarded up. St. Matthew's Episcopal Church and the Catholic Mission agreed on an offer to move the chapel from Mainstreet and construct a foundation for its new location. Finally in September 1982, St. Matthew's moved the building to its current location. On March 10, 1983, Archbishop James Casey officially renamed this Parker church "Ave Maria". The first Mass at the chapel's new location was celebrated at 11am on October 7, 1984. The chapel remained unfinished until 1985 when St. Matthew's finished the interior and dedicated it as their worship space.
|Placed By||Town of Parker|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Monday, September 19th, 2016 at 9:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13S E 520406 N 4374213|
|Decimal Degrees||39.51731667, -104.76260000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 31.039', W 104° 45.756'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 31' 2.34" N, 104° 45' 45.36" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||720, 303|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 11017 S Pikes Peak Dr, Parker CO 80138, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.