In 1831, Presbyterian families from Newark, New York, traveled by boat through the Erie Canal to Detroit. Settling in the Saline area, they held their first religious service on July 18, 1831. Thereafter, services were held in schoolhouses, homes, and other buildings until 1842 when they erected a frame structure on this site. In 1898 that building was replaced with the present church.
Built in 1898 with heavy cut stone foundations and rounded arches, the Saline Presbyterian Church reflects the influence of Romanesque Revival architecture. Detroit architects Frederick H. Spier and William C. Rohns designed the church, which was built by local contractor Conrad Schaffer and Son. The total cost for the building and furnishings was $5,981. The congregation restored the sanctuary interior in 1998.