This house is one of the last remaining examples of Queen Ann architecture in the area. The tall proportions, a variety of surface textures and the irregularity of plan are representative of this style. One of the most predominant characteristics is the turret located on the southeast corner of the house, with the exterior walls showing several combinations of shapes and styles of shingles. It was the homestead of Hiram Smith Williams, his wife Cornelia, and their children Sydney and Myra. Williams moved to Rockledge in 1874, began construction of this house, and became one of the first Indian River Fruit citrus farmers, shipping his fruit under the label "Lawndale." Williams was the first Postmaster for the City of Rockledge (1875-1881) and a post office was established at this site. He was also Brevard County Treasurer (1874-1883) and the first State Senator representing Brevard County for two terms beginning in 1884. Williams was a strong opponent of education, establishing one of the first schoolrooms in the area on the second floor of this house. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Rockledge Drive Historic District.