1891 - 1899
—Fort Bliss Main Post Historic District —At the close of the Indian Wars in the late 19th century, the U.S. Army consolidated a number of small posts into larger, more permanent installations. As part of this consolidation, construction of a new post at the present location was ordered in 1890. Fort Bliss was chosen over Fort Selden, New Mexico, because of its strategic location on the U.S.-Mexico border at the confluence of five railroads. The citizens of El Paso donated 1,266 acres of the present site to the Army, and construction began in 1892.
|Placed By||Fort Bliss|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, May 6th, 2017 at 9:01am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||13R E 364000 N 3520315|
|Decimal Degrees||31.81036667, -106.43681667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 48.622', W 106° 26.209'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 48' 37.32" N, 106° 26' 12.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 220 Sheridan Rd, El Paso TX 79906, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.