—March to the Sea Heritage Trail —New Hope is the oldest Methodist Church still in existence in Washington County. Its early written church records are lost, but oral history relates that New Hope's original structure was built in the late 1700s. It was a one-room building with a single hand-hewn beam spanning its length and columns to support the ceiling and roof. Bishop Francis Asbury held a quarterly meeting at New Hope in 1801. In 1922 the church building was lifted and rolled on logs 138 feet to its current location in order to enlarge the cemetery. Through several building enlargements and renovations the single hand-hewn beam has remained intact and is still visible today. Original doors, are now used for the church's front entrance and Sunday School rooms.
|Placed By||Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, May 6th, 2017 at 9:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 350410 N 3644760|
|Decimal Degrees||32.93088333, -82.60000000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 55.853', W 82° 36'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 55' 51.1800" N, 82° 35' 60.0000" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1-655 New Hope Church Rd, Davisboro GA 31018, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.