You are standing on land that long ago was part of an area folks called "Stout". In 1737, when Benjamin Banneker was six years old, his father, Robert, purchased 100 acres from Richard Gist for 7,000 pounds of tobacco and put young Benjamin's name on the land deed. The family built a small cabin close to this spot. Banneker lived on this land for the rest of his life.
After Banneker's death in 1806, the Ellicott family came to own the land. Forth-four years later the Ellicott Family sold six actes to Joshua and Rebecca Hynes for $400.00. The Hynes family added 25 more acres to their farm the next year and began building this three story stone farmhouse with local Ellicott City granite. The stone construction and three stories made this house exceptional for its time.
Throughout the years, three families lived and farmed here until the Treuth family bought it in 1969. In 198s5, Baltimore County purchased 42.5 acres of the Treuth farm and created Benjamin Banneker Historical Park. Baltimore County restored this house in 2004. This house is listed on the Maryland Historical Trust Inventory of Historic Properties.
Today, the stone farmhouse as been named the Molly Bannaky House to honor Benjamin Banneker's grandmother.
John and Mary Hynes with their family, circa 1890
The Hynes family lived and farmed
here for 60 years beginning with Joshua and Rebecca and their 6 children. Joshua was a Baltimore County sheriff. Some of the children inherited the small farm and house in 1881. Joshua's son, John raised a family of 12 children in this farmhouse and continued to farm here until the family sold the property in 1910. Records show the family had an orchard, pasture for animals and crops.