St. John's Presbyterian ChurchFounded in 1787 by the well known Scot, the Reverend John Bethune, St. John's Presbyterian Church and its people played an important role in the preservation of Canadian land and territorial claim during the war of 1812. Their first church building was a log cabin on 159 Pitt Street where the Bank of Montréal is currently located. This building was claimed by the British, and was used as a barrack by their troops for a period of time. Church Elders and members served in the war. Archibald McLean, an Elder, served with distinction with Sir Isaac Brock who was responsible for defending Upper Canada (now Ontario) against the United States. History tells us that Major-General Brock died in the presence of McLean at Queenston Heights. Through numerous acts of bravery, skill and foresight, our country was preserved by British Military Forces, Mohawk and other aboriginal supporters, Canadian Voltigeurs, Canadian Militia and the Glengarry Fencibles.
|Placed By||Government of Canada|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, May 26th, 2017 at 6:08pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 521453 N 4985034|
|Decimal Degrees||45.01843333, -74.72771667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 45° 1.106', W 74° 43.663'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||45° 1' 6.36" N, 74° 43' 39.78" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling East|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 16 Second St E, Cornwall Ontario K6H 1Y3, CA|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.