—Grand Gulf Historic Tour —By the use of flying batteries, the Confederates were so mobile that the Union troops had much difficulty in stopping fortification of bluffs behind Grand Gulf. Harassment forced Commodore David Farragut to convoy the unarmed ships. In March, 1863, Confederate fortifications were strengthened and armament was increased by addition of Wade's and Guibor's Missouri Batteries under command of Colonel William Wade, chief of artillery for Brigadier General John Bowen. Bowen had some 2,500 infantry to man the extensive new rifle pits. Dug into the side of the Point of Rock, about forty feet above the gulf. Fort Cobun was protected by a parapet nearly forty feet thick. Here was located the upper battery, mounting at time of attack, two 32-pounder rifles, one 8 inch Dahlgren and a 30-pounder Parrott rifle, with extensive rifle pits. Fort Wade, the lower fort, just behind the ruined town, was situated on a shelf about twenty feet above and a quarter of a mile distant from the river. Fort Wade's armament consisted of one 100-pounder Blakely rifle, one 8-inch Dahlgren and two 32-pounder rifles. Fort Wade also had extensive rifle pits.
|Placed By||The Grand Gulf Military Monument Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, May 30th, 2017 at 1:01pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||31N E 166021 N 0|
|Decimal Degrees||32.03000000, -91.05316667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 1.8', W 91° 3.19'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 1' 48" N, 91° 3' 11.4" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near Grand Gulf, Port Gibson MS 39150, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.