The first town in Schleicher County, Verand was established about 1890 near the headquarters of the Vermont Ranch. Although short-lived, the town, platted in 86 lots, incuded a stagecoach station, post office, store, and hotel, as well as homes for twenty to thirty families. The citizens of Verand ultimately had difficulty obtaining clear title to their land so in 1895, in answer to an offer of free land by Eldorado founder W.B. Silliman, they moved five miles south to the new town. The site of Verand soon returned to its natural state.