Basic Mill Drive-Train ArrangementThis assembly was used in the water mills on the Cazenovia Creek at Northrup Road during the mid to late 1800's. Its purpose was to transmit power from water wheels to grist stones and/or saws. Around the turn of the 20th century, this mill component was moved to 1600 Seneca Street where it was used in the operation of a gristmill. With the gear assembly standing vertically and horses harnessed to it walking in a circle, it generated the power necessary to turn the grist stone to grind grain. In 2012 the gear assembly, the only known remnant, was donated to the Elma Hisrorical Society. Members of the Society refurbished the artifact which is now displayed here under the shelter. The shelter was built with a grant from the Elsie & Lucius McCowan Private Cheritable Foundation. Boy Scouts, Iroquois Central students, Historical Society members, Elma Highway Department and Baschmann Construction Co. all contributed to the design and construction of the shelter. The exact arrangement of the 1844 mill is not known. The schematic on the right shows a typical mill drive that utilizes the mill component.The Gear Assembly was donated by Mary McIntosh and Rory Brake.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, June 6th, 2017 at 9:02pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 692924 N 4746982|
|Decimal Degrees||42.85108333, -78.63881667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 51.065', W 78° 38.329'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 51' 3.9" N, 78° 38' 19.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1600 Bowen Rd, Elma NY 14059, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.