GOWANDA HISTORIC SITE. The village of Gowanda, incorporated in 1848, is located in two counties, Cattaraugus and Erie, divided by the Cattaraugus Creek. It was first called Aldrich Mills, and later Lodi. The first settler in 1810 was Turner Aldrich, a pioneer merchant. Elisha Henry had a store and house on this site which burned in the great fire of 1856. Debbie Case, of the Cattaraugus Cutlery Case family, married H.N. Platts. With his father, Charles Platts, they established C. Platts & Sons Cutlery Works here in 1898. They were famous for making quality pockey knives. The building was purchased in 1910 by Charles Sipple for a car agency. This property was generously donated to the Village in 1987 by Donald and Frederick Campbell who started a Red and White Grocery on the premises in 1944.