St. John's Evanglical Church
German congregation founded, 1843. The first local church to join Evangelical Church Society of the West, 1856, pioneer of Evangelical Synod of North America. Hosted first general conference of Society 1859, at church on Hancock Street built, 1848. Maintained school, 1849-1882; from 1869, in schoolhouse on site of present Parish Hall.
Dedicated to memory of Rev. Theodore S. Schlundt, D.D.
( back )
St. John's Evanglical Church
Cornerstone laying for present Gothic structure, June 24, 1866. Completion and dedication were in October, 1867. English services begun, 1893. Longest of the pastorates was held 1936-67 by the Rev. Theodore S. Schlundt, D.D. Denominational mergers in 1934 and 1957 brought present membership in The United Church of Christ.
Dedicated to memory of Rev. Theodore S. Schlundt, D.D.
Comments 0 comments