This building replaced an earlier church, erected in 1844 on Common St. (Tulane Ave.) opposite the Charity Hospital of Louisiana. Ground-breaking for the present edifice took place May 9, 1869. Construction continued intermittently until dedication, December 18, 1892. The Congregation of the Mission, first community to answer the appeal for European priests by Bishop Louis W. Dubourg, second Bishop of Louisiana (1815-1826), continuously served the parish from the time Fr. John Hayden C.M., became pastor in 1858. He remained until chosen U.S. Lazarist Provincial shortly after undertaking work on this monumental structure.