The Seminary United Methodist Church was
established in 1851 in Turkey Cove. Over
the years this structure has served as a church, a school
and a Masonic Lodge. Its first of board of trustees included W. N. G. Barron, James F
Jones, Henry C. Slemp, John W. Slemp, and
John Snodgrass. W. W. Farthing was the first
The building, made of local
brick, originally had a wooden second story.
It was damaged by fire in the 1860s; only
the brick walls remained. A committee was
appointed in 1873 to rebuild the structure.
Heavy winds about 1923 caused further
damage. When repairs were made,
stained glass windows were installed.