Former location of East Cemetery relocated in 1996 to Greenlawn Cemetery American Township.
In 1832 John East of Pickaway County came to Allen County with his wife, Elizabeth Huffer, and family Mary, Isaac, Abraham, Elizabeth, and Samuel. He built an ox tread or "tramp mill" on this site to grind flour and meal, and saw lumber.
In 1844 the tread mill was replaced by a steam grist mill which also operated a carding machine, the first in Allen County.
The hamlet containing the mill became known as "East Town". East Town included a saw mill, tile works, East Town school, and the East Cemetery, also known as the "Old Dessenberg Cemetery".
In 1996 the American Township trustees supervised an archaeological type of excavation where 37 grave sites and remains were located. Those remains now reside at Greenlawn Cemetery in American Township.