The first recorded burial on this site was that of Asbury Lowery (1836-1855). The new burial ground was named in his memory. In 1863, Prairie Flower (1858-1863), the young daughter of celebrated Comanche Indian captive Cynthia Ann Parker and Comanche Chief Peta Nocona, was interred here when she died while living with relatives of her mother. In 1965 her remains were removed to the post cemetery at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, to be re-interred near the graves of her mother and brother, Chief Quanah Parker, during ceremonies attended by both Comanche and Anglo descendants.
A Texas Ranger named Adren Anglin (1796-1865) also was buried here in the early years of the graveyard. H.W. and H.L. Walker donated two acres including the existing Asbury Chapel and Cemetery to trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1879.
In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, family members and descendants of the deceased observed a cemetery memorial day by coming together to clean the grounds and share food and fellowship. Eventually, Asbury Chapel merged with the Edom Methodist Church. The first cemetery board of directors was organized in 1945 while John W. Miller (1884-1975) was caretaker.
Maintained by an association, the cemetery contains almost 400 recorded and marked burials and approximately 30 unmarked graves.
Among the unmarked graves is believed to be that of pioneer Van Zandt County settler Esable Lindsey and six of her children. The Asbury Cemetery continues to be a chronicle of the pioneers of Van Zandt County.
(Incise on base)
Researcher: Iona Pinckard Miller