An important part of Trenton's manufacturing history once operated near this site.
Incorporated by Peter Cooper, Abram Hewitt, Edward Cooper and James Hall in 1847, the Trenton Iron Works was renowned for the quality of the goods it produced.
The Trenton Iron Works, in 1854, produced the first structural wrought iron rail beams enabling construction of America's first skyscrapers.
During the American Civil War, the iron works manufactured the barrels and locks for the Trenton Springfield Rifle. This contribution to the Union cause can still be seen in the many surviving muskets proudly stamped"U.S. Trenton" (1862-1863) upon their lock plate. Trenton Iron Works also produced heavy mortar carriages for Union Navy gunboats.
Following the Civil War, the facility became known as the New Jersey Steel and Iron Company, In the year 1900, it was acquired by the American Bridge Company whose name was retained until April 1976 when production ceased.
This building, now the KatManDu Restaurant, was built circa 1874.