In 1861, John G. Gibson recruited a company at Tyro, Ark., that would become Co. H, 3rd Arkansas Infantry, nicknamed the Orphan Company, in the Army of Northern Virginia. Thirty-three Arkansas men joined in 1861, 22 in 62, and one in 63. Kentuckians and Virginians also served in Co. H. The unit fought at Antietam, Gettysburg, Chickamauga, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor and Petersburg. It surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865. Of the 116 men who had served in the Orphan Company, only nine were left at Appomattox.