Bunker Hill The Millville, Reilly and Milton Turnpike brought prosperity to the
village now renamed Bunker Hill. School House No. 10 stood nearby
from 1849-1857. By 1860 clothing manufacturing was the major
business here. A Post Office was established in 1852. A Universalist
church was dedicated in 1855. During the Civil War, the Peace
Democrats, called Copperheads, were active in this area. Ohio
Congressman Clarence Vallandingham, future Peace Democrat leader,
campaigned here in 1860 and a traditional Democratic Party pole
raising was held here in 1863. Coopers, cobblers, blacksmiths,
wagon shops, saddlers, a sorghum mill, a huckster (traveling sales-
man), a photographer, a clothes pin factory, a band, a music
teacher, and a baseball team were here during the 19th century.
The Post Office closed in 1906. By 1912, the church had closed.
Dog Town Thomas Burk Sr purchased a quarter section of federal land here
in 1804. A school house was erected on this purchase in 1809.
That same year, a road was built on Indian Creek west of this marker.
Obadiah Welliver opened a tavern on his purchase in 1812. Burk
sold his grist mill in 1818 and it is thought that the hamlet around
this mill was called Dogtown because of a vicious dogfight there.
In 1825, Reily Post Office was established at Welliver's
That year a woolen mill with textile production machinery was
built by Elias Sayres, near the sawmill. Multi-millionaire Elias
Jackson ("Lucky") Baldwin (1828-1909), the founder of Santa Anita
Racetrack near Los Angeles, was born here.