The Buxton Memorial was erected to commemorate the emancipation of slaves following the 1833 Slavery Abolition Act.
The memorial was donated by Charles Buxton MP in memory of his father, Sir Thomas Foxwell Buxton, and those associated with him in the struggle for the abolition of slavery in the British colonies.
It was originally sited in Parliament Square, but later removed and erected in Victoria Tower Gardens in 1957 to mark the 150th anniversary of the 1807 Act abolishing the trans-Atlantic slave trade.
Designed by S.S. Teulon in the Gothic style, the spire is timber framed, and clad with enamelled sheet metal. Many different materials and decorative techniques are used, including grey and pink granite, limestone, grey and red sandstone, rosso marble enammelled metalwork, wrought iron, mosaic and terracotta.
Following extensive restoration by The Royal Parks, the Memorial was unveiled on 27th March 2007 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the passing of the 1807 Act.