Pedro Horruytiner y Pueyo was the first documented owner of this house, a member of a prominent Spanish family. Don Pedro Benedit Horruytiner and Don Luis de Horruytiner were governors of Florida during the First Spanish Period (1565-1763). It remained in their family until the time of the British occupation in 1763. Through the centuries many distinguished Spanish, British and American military, government and professional leaders have resided here.This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior
This home, one of the oldest in St. Augustine, has 12" thick exterior and interior walls constructed of "Coquina," a porous native shell stone. It has survived storms and fires that engulfed the city in earlier years. The house and courtyard wall, built right up to the street, reflect requirements of royal decrees for New World towns issued by the King of Spain in 1573.
In the southeast corner of the courtyard wall is a section of "Tabby" which is made of whole oyster shells. It is the last known free-standing wall of this type in St. Augustine dating back to the First Spanish Period.