Central High School
In 1916, the Superintendent of Madison County Schools met with the citizens of Ryland, Maysville, and Brownsboro to discuss plans to replace the three one-room schools serving each community. Five acres of centrally located land were donated and the citizens volunteered time, labor, and money to construct a two-story frame building. On November 5, 1917, at 8:30 a.m., Central Consolidated High School first opened with eleven grades. The students were transported by three covered wagons and one truck-type bus. Around 1920, an additional wing was added to the building. By 1922, enrollment had reached 390 students with a 157 day term and a fall break for picking cotton. On the evening of March 1, 1931, Central High School, the first consolidated school in Madison County, was destroyed by fire.
Central Junior High School
After Central High School was destroyed by fire, the citizens once again donated their time, labor, and money to help rebuild the school. Central Junior High School, a brick building with large arching windows, first opened on November 3, 1931. Over the next five decades, "Colts" was adopted as the school's mascot; indoor restrooms, two additional wings, and a lunchroom were
added. The school was integrated during the 1967-68 school year. On the evening of December 30, 1981, Central Junior High School was destroyed by fire. Central's classes were then held at the Annie C. Mertz Center in Huntsville until a new school could be rebuilt.
On January 24, 1984, classes began at the current Central School.