These Corinthian column segments originally were part of those that graced the west and east entrance porticos of Oregon's first state house. The cornerstone for the original Capitol was laid October 8, 1873. The building was partially completed and occupied on August 26, 1876. The structure, designed by architect Justice F. Krumbein, was totally completed (including the original dome) in 1892 for a total cost of $500,000. It was destroyed by fire April 25, 1935. Dedicated February 12, 1981
The bricks used for the inner core construction of these columns and for the building were made by convicts at the Oregon State Penitentiary. The limestone fluted veneer facings of the columns came from Douglas County quarries.
These segments were salvaged from several locations in Salem and vicinity during 1980 and were returned to this original location for the interest of historical preservation.
First Lady Mrs. Victor Atiyeh and Governor Atiyeh promoted the idea of preserving the column segments as a piece of Oregon's history. The columns were found in Mill Creek, near the residence of the Governor, and on the State 4-H property.
Mrs. Atiyeh worked with the Oregon Historical Properties Committee, Department of General Services employees, and personnel and inmates from the Oregon State Penitentiary to design and construct
Mr. O.H. Duncan was the construction coordinator for this project. In addition, many citizens donated time, talent and materials to this project so that Oregonians and visitors could enjoy a part of Oregon State government history.