—Simpson County Heritage Trail —
Early Settlement and Historic Preservation
The area was first settled in the early 1800s. In 1840, Willie Magee built a grist
mill on Little Goodwater Creek, inside the present city limits. The community
grew and in 1900 was incorporated as the Village of Magee. The original
business district, just off U. S. Highway 49 contains several historic buildings,
including the Magee Community House, home of the Lamplighter Community Theater.
The McAlpin House and Gardens, a beautifully preserved early twentieth century Victorian house and garden available for private and public functions, is an outstanding example of the historic houses still existing in Magee.
Appreciating its historical and cultural heritage, but always looking forward,
today Magee takes its place as one of the most significant towns in the heart of
the Piney Woods Region of our state. It is the largest town in Simpson County
as well as the retail and banking center of the county. The only municipal
airport in Simpson County is located in Magee. Much of the business district
is located directly along U. S. Highway 49, the main north-south route through
Mississippi to the Gulf Coast. The Magee Hospital has grown into a major
regional medical center. Magee, strategically located
between Jackson and
Hattiesburg, has a large, diverse retail community, including modern hotel
facilities and diverse and inviting cuisine.
Recreationally, Magee is bordered both north and south by regionally noted water parks. Just north of Magee, on U. S. Highway 49, is Simpson Legion Fishing Lake. Further to the south, into neighboring Covington County is the Okatoma Creek recreational area, including camping and canoeing facilities.