(Western Division)A state-owned canal system, built 1826-34, to connect Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Erie. This 104-mile division ran from Johnstown to Pittsburgh and was part of the canal's mainline. In 1827, Dam #1 was constructed at Leechburg, and it supplied the remainder of the route to Pittsburgh with water and 7 miles of slack water navigation to Apollo, Pa. The dam remained in operation until 1865 and washed away in the Johnstown Flood of 1889.
|Placed By||Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, March 10th, 2018 at 1:01pm PST -08:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 618556 N 4498383|
|Decimal Degrees||40.62778333, -79.59820000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 37.667', W 79° 35.892'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 37' 40.02" N, 79° 35' 53.52" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Which side of the road?||Marker is on the right when traveling North|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 472 Canal St, Leechburg PA 15656, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.