Chartered by the State of Georgia
to be trustworthy stewards of the island, the Jekyll Island Authority has been very active in the preservation of the National Historic Landmark District. The rehabilitation of Crane Cottage and Cherokee in 2000-2001 for additional hotel accommodations for the Jekyll Island Club Hotel exemplifies how the public-private partnership works to benefit preservation projects and preserve the legacy of the Jekyll Island Club for future Georgians.
Throughout the National Historic Landmark District, many of the landscapes and cottages have been restored to a particular period of the Jekyll Island Club era (1886-1942). The dates of specific restorations have been determined typically by the height of activity within the specific area. The restoration of the District is a continuing project in research and design. Whether as a beautiful destination for wandering vacationers or as a setting for the study of a culture and time, Jekyll Island is being preserved for every type of visitor.
Dr. George Shrady
The cottage was constructed in 1904 for Dr. George F. Shrady, the attendant to ex-President Grant. Well-known in his field, Dr. Shrady was surgical pathologist when President James Garfield
Dr. Walter James
Beginning his career as a general practitioner, Dr. James became a lecturer at the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Columbia University. He remained there until 1918, when an eye injury forced him to retire. He was a very active member of the Jekyll Island Club and was elected President in 1919. Dr. James purchased the cottage From Mrs. Shrady in 1925 and called it Cherokee.