You are standing at the entrance to the Newport Casino, a National Historic Landmark that now houses the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
The Casino was built in 1880 as a social club for Newport's wealthy summer residents. The name of the property, The Casino, is not indicative of gambling. Actually, it was derived from the Italian casina or "little house." The Newport Casino was designed by McKim, Mead & White and represented the first work by the famous trio. It is one of the finest examples of American Shingle Style Architecture.
In 1881, the Newport Casino hosted the first men's United States National Lawn Tennis Association tournament. In 1915 that tournament was moved to New York, and we now know this tournament as the US Open. Today the site remains a highly active tennis facility, with courts open to the public daily and as the host facility of the Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, the only ATP World Tour event in New England.
Jimmy Van Alen founded the Hall of Fame this property in 1954. Today, just over 240 great champions and leaders from 21 nations have come to Newport to receive tennis' highest honor - induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.
Please come in to tour the grounds and visit our museum.