First chartered village in Rensselaer County, New York, USA and was settled around 1763. The name is from Abraham Lansing, an early settler, combined with the Scottish word burgh.———————————————
Street Docks at 123rd Street During the First Quarter of the 20th Century.
Most of the boats shown here were built in Lansingburgh. Peebles Island and Waterford are in the background. The marina and boat launch have been restored.
Canal Boats Waiting to Enter the Erie Canal at Waterford.
The [L]ansingburgh shoreline, the United Shirt & Collar Company building, and the Lansingburgh Power Plant (the building with the smokestack) can be seen in the background. Both the Erie and Champlain Canals were located at Waterford.
Herman Melville's Home, First Avenue and 114th Street.
Famed novelist Herman Melville, best known for Moby Dick, spent his youth here and wrote his first two novels at this house. It is now the Lansingburgh Historical Society. The house is also interesting in that its entrance is not on First Avenue, like the other homes in that area.
The United Shirt & Collar Company Ironer Department.
Hundreds of local wom[e]n had jobs here doing a variety of chores.
The Residence of Former U.S. President Chester A. Arthur (1881-1885) at 626 First Avenue in
Arthur went to Union College in Schenectady at the age of 15 in 1845, and taught school in the one-room brick schoolhouse (still standing) of School District # 14, in the town of Schaghticoke on Verbeck Street. By doing so he earned $15a month.
112th St. Park sponsored by North Lansingburgh Neighborhood Watch
Dedicated in 2009 as part of the Hudson River Quadra-Centennial Celebration