Here, at 2023 G Street, N.W., in 1912, The George Washington University relocated from its H Street, N.W., location. All administrative offices, the library and lecture halls, except for the Law and Medical Schools, were accommodated in the former St. Rose Industrial School for Girls that stood here. On the basis of a rental lease, starting in January 6, 1912, at the urging of trustee-benefactor , General Maxwell Woodhull (who lived at the corner of 21st and G Streets), purchase of this property was settled on June 6, 1912 with a loan from Riggs Bank (now PNC Bank). In 1919, after the outstanding debt was paid off by Abram Lisner, a university trustee-benefactor and prominent Washington department store owner, the building was named "Lisner Hall." In 1939, the first university library was constructed here. Funded by a bequest from the estate of Abram Lisner, in memory of his wife, Laura Hartman Lisner, and was named the "Lisner Library." When in 1972 the library was relocated to a new building, later known as "The Gelman Library," this building was renamed "Lisner Hall" to house the Columbian School of Arts and Sciences and The Elliott School of International Affairs until 2004.