Cultural opportunities were rare for women in the Orange Community at the end of the 19th century. On October 18, 1893, a small group of women met to form "The Ladies' Shakespeare Club" for the study of Shakespeare, history and literature in general. The name was later changed to "The Ladies' Reading Club." In 1903 the club became part of the General Federation of Womens' Clubs, giving members the support and strength of many women. The Federation's large membership transformed common concerns of public interest into projects and programs of action by volunteer club women. The Woman's Club organized the first library in Orange, beginning with a magazine exchange at the County Courthouse. In 1920 the members gave a tea, inviting the public to attend and to donate a book to the library. These were housed in an old Chamber of Commerce building, in 1922 the Club was renamed "The Woman's Club". A local dentist and his wife sold a lot to The Woman's Club in 1923. On this land the Woman's Club building was erected. The books were relocated to this site and the first Orange Public Library was opened within the Women's Club building. In 1941 members added a room to the south side with a separate entrance for the library. By 1957, the enlarged library was moved into the recently vacated Post Office building, and then to its own home
at Fifth and Main Street in 1977. The Woman's Club building was renovated in 1989. At the beginning of the 21st century, the Woman's Club of Orange continues in the traditions of its founders.