Focus for civic life in early Ozona. City founder E. M. Powell provided the water well equipped with 18-foot windmill, a water trough, and a small cypress tank.
At first meeting of Crockett County Commissioners Court, July 22, 1891, under a liveoak near the well, the sheriff was instructed to operate the city water works. At the time, tents housed most homes and stores, and water was hauled from city well—often by children using toy wagons. In a few years homes had private wells and windmills. A modern system piped water throughout the city in the early 1900s.