The Lady Washington Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) was organized on November 14, 1899, when 10 of the original 17 organizing members met in the western parlor of the Capitol Hotel (later known as the Rice Hotel) that occupied this site 1882-1911. The chapter was named in honor of Martha Dandridge Custis Washington, wife of George Washington. The chapter was the first established in Houston and the fifth in Texas. The first social function hosted by the chapter was a patriotic reception held in the western parlor of the Capitol Hotel on February 21, 1900.
The Lady Washington Chapter founding officers were Regent Ella Hutchins Sydnor, Vice-Regent Lelia L. Crane, Recording Secretary Mary Botts Fitzgerald, Corresponding Secretary Margaret Hadley Foster, Registrar Bettie Palmer Hutcheson, Treasurer Bettie Heath Stuart, and Historian Julia Hadley Franklin. These founding members organized and served on many of the social, patriotic, environmental, and educational organizations that helped form today's Houston and Harris county, including the City Federation of Women's Clubs, the Houston Public School Art League, and the Board of the Houston Lyceum and Carnegie Library.
The NSDAR was founded in 1890 to promote patriotism, preserve American history, and secure America's future through
better education for children. Membership is open to women who descend from a man or woman who served as a sailor, soldier or civil officer, or was a recognized patriot who rendered material aid to the revolution.