In 1913, patrons of three area elementary schools - Euless and Tarrant in the Euless District and Evatt (Crossroads) in the Evatt District - successfully petitioned Tarrant County Commissioners Court to merge and create the Euless Common School District. Voters elected John D. Huffman, Thomas P. Huffman and Dr. Luther F. Rhodes trustees and approved a $7,000 bond issue for a two-story brick schoolhouse, which opened for the 1914-15 school year.
The school building also became a community center, hosting many activities particularly useful for rural families, such as farm and home demonstration programs, farmers' meetings, and club work for boys and girls. Several social, cultural, political and patriotic events were also held here. In 1925 Euless voters unanimously incorporated as an Independent School District and elected a seven member board of trustees. Joseph T. House became the first superintendent and also taught along with four classroom teachers. In 1932, high school drama, speech and literary clubs organized, and electricity on the campus made possible proper lighting and a dependable water supply from a new well.
Citizens of adjoining districts met several times in the 1940s to discuss the possibility of merging and building a central facility with a broader high school curriculum. The opening
Marker is edge on, to the left.
of the nearby Bell Helicopter Manufacturing Plant and Fort Worth Municipal Airport brought population growth, and in January 1955 residents voted to merge the Euless and Hurst districts. Bedford voters initially rejected consolidation but joined in 1958, creating the present Hurst-Euless-Bedford Independent School District. The 1914 Euless School, which served until 1955 consolidation, was razed in 1970. South Euless Elementary School now occupies the site.
Marker is property of the State of Texas