Weighing 5 ¾ tons (5842 kg), this gun was commissioned by order of St John. Its decoration includes heraldic devices, bands of cupids and vines, and St Michael overthrowing Satan. Brought from Malta to England around 1800, it was transferred from the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, to the Tower in 1962.
The cast iron carriage designed by the Royal Carriage Department, Woolwich was made by John Hall of Dartford, Kent in 1827 on the orders of the Duke of Wellington. Its decoration includes the arms of Malta and scenes from the island's history. The gun's breech rests on an iron quoin formed as a Maltese dog.
The gun and carriage were conserved at Royal Armouries Fort Nelson in 2003-4.
Probably Flemish, dated 1607. Carriage, British 1827